Originally designed as a warehouse, manufacturing site and trade school, 2 Gansevoort was designed by William H. Dewar, Jr. and built in 1912. In 1948, the William Kaufman Organization purchased the nine-story loft structure and set about an ambitious renovation project. A notable addition to the company’s growing portfolio of ground-up office buildings, 2 Gansevoort marked the developer’s first purchase in the Meatpacking District. The building—part of the Greenwich Village Historic District—was officially designated a landmark on April 29, 1969.
2 Gansevoort was formerly known as 320 West 13th Street. The William Kaufman Organization repositioned this industrial building as one of the first office buildings in the meatpacking district where original tenants included the RCA broadcasting company’s first television repair school in the country and the New York Credit Bureau, before the days of credit cards. Currently, the property is undergoing a second repositioning as “2 Gansevoort” appealing to the fashion and technology markets.